Thursday, August 30, 2007

I’VE GOT WHAT ALL GIRLS WANT

Ok, just thought I’d have a catchy title. But the topic of the post is slightly related.


I’ve been working quite a lot this summer, and I’m going to narrate an event that happened during the lunch break a few weeks ago. There were three of us (me and two female blond colleagues [not that their hair color has anything to do with it]) around the table, and having our lunch. One of my female colleagues mentioned considering from home; but being very confused about it.


The trend here is to move out from home as quickly as possible. This colleague currently lives with her parents, and is considering whether to move to a separate apartment or whether to move in with her boyfriend. (this post is NOT gossip haha)


She was listing the positives and negatives she saw in moving to a separate apartment, and to her boyfriend. To cut a long story short, she wanted her boyfriend to live a lone for a few months before she moved in. She wanted to do this because; she wanted him to ‘learn’ most of the household duties that are typically done by females. Basically she didn’t want to move in with him, because she was fearing she’d become his ‘mother’ (i.e. the person who washes the dishes, does laundry, cooks the food); she wanted him to learn it all, and then when she moved in, they’d share responsibilities, and she wouldn’t have to do everything else.


The other female colleague concurred, that before a female moves in with a man, the man should have lived by himself for a while, so that he’s learnt doing all the chores. She mentioned how her boyfriend would come home (when she was away), and order a pizza instead of cooking food for the daughter, and the house would look like a mess. She complained how she would have to clean up the place, and that she kind of ‘had’ to clean up before settling down (some kind of internal thing she has that doesn’t allow her to rest before the house is clean.) Her explanation was that her boyfriend had been spoiled by his mother who did everything for him.


Then suddenly, all eyes were on me. Now it was my turn to comment on how lazy men who live with their mothers were. Although I could picture myself in some of the cases (such as not being able to cook proper food – by proper I mean Indian :P… I can cook pasta, and make some kind of sauce and do simple stuff… but nothing fancy); there were other things that I couldn’t relate to at all. For example, I do help with chores such as dishes and laundry, but I’ve definitely become more cautious about being lazy now, and I did note that, although I was tired I did wash the dishes that evening =D.


The fact that my parents are divorced has helped me in this way, that I’ve always had to take more responsibility than; if they weren’t; so whereas I personally can’t relate to this completely (but I can in some way), I do think that a lot of people can.


I think this especially is the case with Indian men; who more often than not, live with their parents for quite a long time. Parents spoil their kids by not making them learn chores, and not making them learn cook food and stuff. This is mostly apparent in the cases of immigrant (i.e. my father); who had to learn everything from scratch when they were mommy-less outside India.


Basically point being; I do understand where the female colleagues were coming from, and think that men should start thinking about these things.





12 comments:

Dilpreet Kaur said...

viro!!!
i had a dream of youu!!yes, 2 days ago! you were my classmate in my tutorial, because you came to singapore as an exchange student! so happening! and then I was hanging out with you, and it was so fun! but actually the only thing I remember is this classroom scene, where you made a comment and I snided you..heehee, don't know why though!

anyway, yes men are lazy! heehee...kidding. But you are la pai, admit it! heehee, still remember malaysia samelan..shessh!!heehee

hmmm...but I must say the pais in singapore are quite well endowed with skills on living on their own! they can cook, clean and sew!amazing!well, harminder says it's part of the army experience! haha

hope you're not having post-sikh camp syndrome!chardi kala, rabh rakha!!

vsingh said...

lol
Wierd enough I was considering coming to Singapore/Malaysia as exchange student!!! (I wish!!! May'be ina few years time)

Regarding Singaporean pais being endowed with skills on living on their own; I tihnk it's mainly due to the fact that it's compulsory for them to do the army service!

Army service really manage to get men disciplined..so u guys are lucky =D

I'm trying to get over post-Sikh camp syndrome haha

Dilpreet Kaur said...

yup compulsory ns!spot on!

Angad Singh said...

aiyah ..earn enough to have a made la!

Angad Singh said...

oops i meant maid!

vsingh said...

lol, Angad I'm so surprised to hear that from you (oh no! how could you)

You've been serving your dilruba darling for years now =P

Lagda voti hi aa ke sidha karege =P

Dilpreet Kaur said...

yeah man! i can imagine angad's voti! she'll be all controlling! hhehehehe...kyo angad?!

vsingh said...

I would SO not be surprised if he was 'joru ka ghulam' - (servant of his honeybun :P)

Angad Singh said...

lol....

the idea is to pretend to let the other person feel they are in control...

and yah m serious about the maid man..
both husband and wife work hard the whole week so that they can mop the house ..i mean is that your idea of a fun weekend..

Angad Singh said...

controling or not i dunno but she ll be the best around :D

Dilpreet Kaur said...

awww!sho shweet!I shall tell that to your wife in the future!! ermm, mopping th house and cleaning's quite fun what?!hahaha

vsingh said...

Yeah Angad, ask dilo; mopping is her favourite leisure activity!!!

Voti hovey Dilpreet vangu hovey hahah – one who enjoys mopping the house =P. I’ll make sure I find a voti who lists that among things she finds fun =P

Jokes aside, it’s just about getting your acts together; and sharing the duties – and not letting the voti do it all; something Indians have a very hard time doing.

Angad getting a maid isn’t possible in all parts of the world; especially where the maid’s labour will most likely take up, two thirds, of a well educated person’s income.