Sunday, March 18, 2007

During Rehraas


During Rehraas a few days ago, I was (again!
) thinking. What's the message? Whats the point of the prayers at all? I then decided to use my Punjabi skills to try to figure out the message within the bani.

Some of the stanzas were comprehensible, and some were a bit more complex. Here's what I realised;

Some of the shabads focus on:

- How we should be inspired by the thirst others have had; not being able to live without Naam/Shabad/Akal. Examples are often given (several examples are given in bani; That a Sikhs love should be like; a fish not being able to live without water; a person not being able to live without oxygen; rain birds thirst for water)

- Other focus on humility; where the highest of the highest call themselves lowest of the lowest (kire/ants/insects)

- Other remind us that this life is temporary, and can be disconnected any minute. This actually reminds me of a teacher that just passed away a few days ago. One day he was walking talking, having a good time, making everyone smile in his lectures; the next day he was no more. Felt very odd; but that shook me. The shook me completely; I've been reminded daily by the Guru that this life is temporary, and that although we're not meant to neglect worldly things, we cannot forget that ultimately, we're not going to stay here...yet has this made any difference to my lifestyle? Hardly.

- Other Shabads constantly remind us that the POINT of life IS to become one with Akaal (eternal). We waste our life doing all sorts of other things. That being said, it doesn't mean that other things shouldn't be done, or that Sikhs should become sadhus in mountains and try to become one with the eternal; it doesn't work that way; it's meant to be a balance. That's something I’ve notice I need to work on. A lot of people are probably thinking; this guy’s is being really humble; but I'm not. The point of making this post is not to seem or act humble; because my Sikhi is seriously not very developed [people who have personally met me can wiconfirm this ]; the point is to remind myself (and hopefully some other soul might give me some insights/feedback, and get some might get some insights out of this post).

- Then there’s Shabads praying for the 'kirpa' of Vaheguru, and that he always bestows his hand upon our head, and keep us his sanctuary; other giving insights how much we've been blessed with; how much God has and can give, depending on efforts we make, and the decisions God makes.

The above messages are just the few things I've understood from the Bani; there is yet a lot to be decoded, by those who actually have made efforts to understand it.

Then there’s the morning prayer. My habit is a bit weird; getting up, taking a shower (being the late awakener I am), it's constantly about breaking new records on how quickly I can complete the paath. Never any focus.

Rehraas on the other hand has become a time to reflect, reason, to think, to feel, to remember, to be reminded, but that only comes at times when I really have time, and am not stressed to do thousands of other things.

Feedback and critique of above thoughts appreciated.

No comments: